Saturday, July 27, 2013

Prioritize Your Minutiae...(or how to eat an elephant)


Prioritize your Minutiae… 
the details, the finer points, or has everything become minutiae?...

Sometimes I feel overwhelmed and paralyzed with tasks that seem too big for me to tackle. Sometimes I feel like curling up into a ball and just letting sleep or a good snooze wash over me so that I can forget about all those things that dampen my “can do” spirit.

 My mom shared with me a long time ago if something seems too big, make it smaller. When cleaning a room, start in one corner and get that corner spic and span, soon you’ll be motivated to continue (because everything else in the room seems dingy in comparison) and you’ll actually be able to say you’ve checked that off your list... (this is where, in my world , theory goes a long way and the concept of cleaning, and my mother’s example, has proven that this IS a tried and true method, NOT because I’ve actually accomplished this on a regular, or if ever basis,  just sayin’)… but along the lines of my mother’s infinite wisdom comes one of my favorite phrases as well,

Question: “how do you eat an elephant?"
Answer:  "one bite at a time”. 

While I’m not planning on chewing on a pachyderm any time soon, I am finding myself in a bit of a quandary on how to tackle some things I want to do… I want to make some changes and I know they don’t “stick” if I make them all at the same time. Soooo… hence the “prioritize my minutiae”, I need to make a list and actually prioritize on that list, (because, let’s face it, in the grand scheme of things, if it’s truly not life or death? It IS minutiae…) I need to acknowledge what is really important in my life and what else is considered fluff, I need that to be reflected in my goals, in my daily life, in my priorities.

I often think of the verses in Luke that talk about how God knows everything about us, even the number of hairs on our heads. It talks about how He cares for us even more than five sparrows that are sold for two pennies and how those tiny birds matter to our very big God, and that we matter even more. 

So if God cares for every little thing about us, then I should be figuring out what those little things should be, what is pertinent and a reflection of Him and how He is working in every facet of my life. 


 I just wanted to throw out there to all the other individuals on this planet that may feel like they’re stuck, or that something seems so big that they just can’t manage to achieve it, that we’re all in this together (corny as that may sound). That with support, encouragement and prioritization of what matters in each of our lives,
we can find other like-minded beings and undertake those things that may frighten or cause us to throw up our hands and say “forget it”. Let’s start prioritizing our minutiae RIGHT NOW!

What are you going to do today that will take the first bite out of YOUR elephant? Personally I’ve got a few ideas that need to turn into deeds before I hit the hay tonightJ and they do not include playing more candy crush or watching another episode of something/anything on netflix,… 
more later, I’ll keep you posted!

Feel free to share your minutiaeJ it helps.

Luke 12:6-7
New International Version (NIV)
6 Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. 7 Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.

No comments:

Post a Comment